6 simple rules for using articles in English (Level A1)
6 simple rules for using articles in English (Level A1)

Ready to unlock EVERYTHING on our online IELTS preparation site, as well as getting LIVE SPEAKING ASSESSMENTS and getting your WRITING TESTS GRADED by IELTS examiners?

No advertising, your own support tutor and so much more!

In this lesson, we will look at 6 simple rules for using articles. Understanding when to use A/AN or THE is difficult in English, but by the end of this lesson you will be able to you use the right word for CEFR Level A1.

Rule #1: Use A or AN the first time you talk about something that the person listening to you doesn’t know.

• DAVID: “Do you have any pets?”
  • JANE “Yes, I have a cat and 2 dogs. The cat is 5 years old and the dogs are 7 and 9.”

In this conversation, Jane says ‘I have A cat’. This is the first time that David has heard this information, and that’s why Jane uses ‘A’. In the next sentence, Jane says ‘THE cat is 5 years old’ because now David knows about her cat.

Rule #2: Use A or AN when it is not important exactly which thing you are talking about.

• Can I borrow a pen? (it doesn’t matter which pen)
  • Do you want an apple? (it doesn’t matter which apple)

Rule #3: We use THE when we are talking about a particular item.

• Where is the pen is was using? (the particular pen that speaker had before)
  • I ate the apple that was on my desk. (the particular apple that was on the desk)

Here’s an example showing rule #2 and #3:

• DAVID: “Can I borrow a pen?”
  • JANE “What happened to the pen that Eric gave you a few minutes ago?”

David asks for any pen, it doesn’t matter which one. Jane replies asking about a particular pen – the pen Eric gave to David.

Rule #4: We only use A or AN for single things (only one).

• He has a car (a single car)
  • She has 2 cars (more than one car)

Rule #5: We use THE when there is only one or it is clear which one the speaker is talking about.

• The sun is shining (there is only one sun)
  • The Queen of England there is only one Queen of England)
  • Your coat is one the chair (it’s clear from what they can see WHICH chair they are talking about)
  • I think I left my wallet in the car! (it’s their car or they both know which car they are talking about)

Rule #6: We use AN before a vowel sound and A before a consonant sound.

To understand this rule, you need to know that vowels are the letters A, E, I, O and U and consonants are the other letters (B, C, D etc)

So for example:

• Do you want AN apple or A banana?

Remember that this rule is used on the SOUND of a word, not the spelling. A word like ‘hour’ for example, SOUNDS like ‘our’ because we don’t say the ‘H’, so it take AN, not A. Here are some more examples:

• He works in a university (university SOUNDS like you-niversity, so uses A)
  • Berlin is a European country (European sounds like you-ropean, so uses A)
  • He’s an FBI agent (FBI sounds like EFF-BI so uses AN)
  • He is an honest man (honest sounds like onest, so uses A)

We hope these 6 simple rules for using articles have helped! Now try the exercise below to test your knowledge!