6 rules for using superlative adjectives
6 rules for using superlative adjectives

Ready to unlock EVERYTHING on our online IELTS preparation site, as well as getting LIVE SPEAKING ASSESSMENTS and getting your WRITING TESTS GRADED by IELTS examiners?

No advertising, your own support tutor and so much more!

6 rules for using superlative adjectives. We use superlative adjectives when we are comparing one thing to 2 or more things.

Examples of superlative adjectives:

• Of all animals, the cheetah is the fastest runner. (comparing cheetahs to every other animal)
  • Some people think that English is the most difficult language in the world. (comparing English to all other languages)
  • In my house, I have to get up the earliest because my job starts at 5 a.m. (comparing the time I get up to the time everyone else gets up).

Syllables and superlative adjectives

To understand the rules for using superlative adjectives, you will need to know the meaning of a syllable.

A syllable is a single sound. For example, ‘goodbye’ has two syllables – ‘good’ and ‘bye’.

Here are some more examples:

1 syllable words: hot, cold, dry
2 syllable words: happy, tired
3 syllable words: excited, exhausted

When making superlative adjectives, there are 6 rules you need to remember:

Superlative adjectives rule 1 of 6: With adjectives with one syllable, simply add the …..+est. For example:

• tall > the tallest
  • fast > the fastest
  • high > the highest

Superlative adjectives rule 2 of 6: if the adjective ends in +y, remove the +y and add the …+iest. For example:

• happy > the happiest
  • angry > the angriest
  • busy > the busiest

Superlative adjectives rule 3 of 6:  Adjectives that already end in +e only have the …+st added. For example:

• nice > the nicest
  • safe > the safest
  • late > the latest

Superlative adjectives rule 4 of 6:

We add the most… to words with 3 syllables or more. For example:

• intelligent > the most intelligent
  • beautiful > the most beautiful
  • interesting > the most interesting

Superlative adjectives rule 5 of 6: With adjectives with two syllables, there are TWO possible options.

• Some 2-syllable adjectives have the est (especially adjectives that end in -y, -le, and -er)
    • happy > the happiest
    • bright > the brightest
  • Some 2-syllable adjectives have the most…

• honest > the most honest
    • modern > the most modern
  • Other 2 syllable adjectives can use either of these options
    • clever > the cleverest OR the most clever
    • gentle > the gentlest OR the most gentle

Superlative adjectives rule 6 of 6: Adjectives that end with a consonant, then a vowel, then a consonant need the consonant doubled. For example:

• big > the biggest (not the bigest)
  • hot > the hottest (not the hotest)
  • fat > the fattest (not the fatest)

Now test your skills with a quick test. Click the link in the table below.

Course Home Expand All
SO and SUCH
1 Learning resource | 1 Exercise / Test